Spring 2011 Fashion Runway Preview: Trends To Look Out For - Women Campus

As I glanced at my heavy winter jackets and box of scarves sitting by my door, I decided that instead of complaining about this brutal weather, I’m going to look forward to a warm future: Spring (even though I know I’ll be waiting a long time before the sun comes out and I can finally walk around my New England campus in a high-waisted mini skirt and my favorite Urban Outfitters gladiator sandals). And since I know you HC readers are busy girls with limited time to peruse fashion’s future, I took the time to research some of the most wearable spring trends from Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week in New York to give you a consolidated sneak peek at what’s to come:

RUNWAY TREND: Splatter Paint Pattern

BCBG Max Azria, Cynthia Steffe, and Thakoon used a splatter paint pattern in many of their designs. The bright teals, purples, pinks, blues, and yellows were bright and cheerful. Cynthia Steffe used it in her everyday look, whereas BCBG used the pattern in their evening looks. This pattern can be dressed down with a leather jacket or dressed up with high bright purple heels.

RUNWAY TREND: Floral Print

I absolutely adore floral prints; I can’t get enough of them. I once looked in my closet and realized a third of my skirts and dresses had a floral print. I dread the day florals become a fashion faux pas, but I’m not too worried about that any time soon since florals seem to be here to stay. DKNY focused the entire collection on floral prints: Floral dresses, floral jackets, floral skirts—you name it, they’ve got it. The great thing about a floral pattern is that it is very easy to pull off. A floral blouse with a cute pair of jeans and a pair of cute black booties can be worn on a date with the cute guy that you sit next to in history lecture or on a night out with the girls. Personally, I love to wear dainty floral dresses with my black motorcycle Frye boots. This is a great balance of day and night and hard and soft.

RUNWAY TREND: Bold Colors

Yellow, turquoise, and, pink were major colors on the runway this season. My all-time favorite designer Marc Jacobs (designing for Marc by Marc Jacobs) used a lot of neon yellows and pinks in his patterns. Contrary to popular belief, I say you can wear bright colors without looking like you’re attending an ‘80s dance party. A bright yellow boyfriend sweater can be paired with a cute pair of dark washed jeans and a pair of white Converse sneakers for a great relaxed look.

RUNWAY TREND: Military Blazers

Rag and Bone had a series of amazing military blazers in dark green, navy blue, and black. I love blazers because they can go with any blouse or dress, and can be dressed down for classes or up for a fancy cocktail party.

RUNWAY TREND: Metallics

We saw a lot of silver metallics in the Ralph Lauren and Dennis Basco shows. Dennis Basco’s first look was a beautiful silver metallic ballerina dress—my favorite dress of the season—another was a silver Ralph Lauren gown, seen here. Metallics seem to be the new neutral. It’s great for me because now I can wear my sparkly Free People dress to class. Well, maybe—since this look is definitely more fitting for a night out with the girls or a holiday party. Spring feels so far away, but the new fashion trends are the only thing keeping me sane through this cold weather. Some of these trends seem risky, but my only piece of advice is if you like it, rock it! Pair a metallic jacket with a Hanes white tank (and get pumped for an upcoming HC article of mine on 20 ways to wear a plain white tee), wear a military blazer with a ballerina tutu skirt, or buy that adorable Forever 21 floral skirt (pictured) and pair it with your heavy black boots. Pick your favorite trends for amped-up fashionista status.

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Favorites More
Site signed by the sharing of knowledge - non-commercial use - Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States.All content from the network, the article does not mean that this site perspective, if the violation of the copyright or you found objectionable information, please contact me, we will immediately handle.mailto:wowallfree@gmail.com
Design by Emporium Digital