An HC Intern's Attempt to Stay Fit While Lounging on the Beach Part-1 - Women Campus

Ahhh Spring Break! A time for tanning, relaxation, and…exercise? Okay, so Spring Break isn't exactly known for its fitness opportunities, but I have resolved to do things a little differently this year. This week, I am seeking to prove that in the midst of laying out, indulging in delicious fare, and sipping one too many cocktails, it is also possible to sculpt, tone, and burn some calories. And I'm not talking about hopping on the treadmill or lifting weights. Such practices may be feasible for an everyday routine, but I don't want to spend my precious hours of sunshine inside of a gym. Instead, I am going to create four days worth of fitness activities that require nothing more than a little willpower and a dash of motivation. And since the sun always makes me hungry, I will also share a few of my favorite bikini-friendly snacks. 

More importantly, I want to redefine what it means to be a "beach bum" and prove that it is possible to stay fit and healthy on vacation. As someone who scarcely uses the gym at home, I can't say I'm confident about how this experiment will pan out. But I am looking forward to making myself get a little exercise on what is otherwise a delightfully lazy, even gluttonous week at my grandparents' house in Florida. Let the games begin!

Day 1: Water Aerobics

Okay, okay, so it might sound ridiculous but as the granddaughter of a water aerobics instructor, I knew this exercise would kick off my Spring Break fitness routine. Every morning my grandmother leads 35 women in an hour-long water aerobics class. And while I used to chuckle as the gaggle of ladies bobbed up and down as they sung along to show tunes, I've discovered that this workout really does have its merits.

  • Good For: Stretching, Abs 
  • How it Felt: While I never envisioned waking up before 9 AM on vacation, I must admit water aerobics was a great way to start the day. The water provided the perfect medium to stretch my muscles, and my abs really did get a workout. Plus, while it might not be the most grueling workout, this fitness routine was certainly a fun and enjoyable way to burn a few calories. Not to mention, it scored me some major granddaughter points!
  • Try This: Tone your abs by doing what my grandma calls "the frog" position.  While standing in shallow water, click your heels together once and progress the number of "clicks" until you get to 3. To make it even harder, practice the exercise without ever letting your feet touch the bottom of the pool.

Snack Attack of Gazpacho: Every year I look forward to my grandma's Gazpacho. This cold soup is super easy to make, very light in calories and packed with tons of veggies and antioxidants!

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Favorites More
Site signed by the sharing of knowledge - non-commercial use - Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States.All content from the network, the article does not mean that this site perspective, if the violation of the copyright or you found objectionable information, please contact me, we will immediately handle.mailto:wowallfree@gmail.com
Design by Emporium Digital