You Met How?! : True Stories of How Real Couples Met and Where You're Most Likely to Meet Your Next Guy - Women Campus

Ask anyone how they met their boyfriend or girlfriend and they'll probably tell you, "oh, we met through a friend." Boring right? Well, it's not always the case.
 
We surveyed 30 college girls and guys who are in relationships, and while meeting through a mutual friend was the most popular answer, meeting at a party, a bar, in class, or at work, were also hot spots for meeting a potential girlfriend or boyfriend.
 
Here's the breakdown of how these 30 college couples met:

  • Through a friend: 10
  • In class: 5
  • At a party: 5
  • At Work: 3
  • Totally Random: 3
  • At an Event: 3
  • Serendipity: 1

So, if you don't think you have any mutual friends with that hot guy you've been eyeing at work, or the gym, don't be discouraged. Take some tips from these college students' stories to find where you could meet your perfect match!
 
Through a Friend:

 
We met playing beer pong in [a friend's] backyard, and he ended up grilling me my first hamburger in 10 years. He was really funny and very sarcastic. We shared a few jokes, a few drinks and some good ol' red meat. – *Ashley, 21
 
We met through a mutual friend while I was on a break with my ex. I had never met him before. We were sitting across the table from one another at dinner and we both looked into each other's eyes and knew that there was something there that was different than anything that we had ever experienced. I wasn't sure if I would ever even see him again and I got back with my ex. We would talk here and there and both knew that really strong feelings were building. Seven months later my ex and I broke up and he and I started going on dates and then he ended up asking me out shortly after. He had waited for me and we have now been together for the past 7 months! – Amber, 22
 
I met my boyfriend through my cousin when I was at a family gathering. He had always told my cousin that he thought I was cute and we ended up talking that night. When I left to go home he asked me to come over for dinner the next night and gave me his jacket to make sure that I would see him again. – Danielle, 20
 
I was dating someone that I met in a Hillel program, and he introduced me to his cute friend. When the two of us broke up, I ended up going out with his friend! – Jessica, 22
 
At a Party:
 
We had been friendly acquaintances before, but there was a big dance party at school and the two of us were pushed together by our friends and we danced for awhile. Then we hung out afterwards. – *Michael, 20
 
I met a cute girl at a party one night. When I asked for her number, she asked me to put my number into her phone. A little bit buzzed, I put in the contact name something like: Thisizachtheguythatfindsyoureallygoodlooking. It was something embarrassing. Two days later we saw each other at another party. She told me she got a good laugh out of my contact name. From then we went on a date and ended up going out. – Zach, 19
 
I went to this church event with all my friends. I thought this one boy was kinda cute but never really thought anything of it because I knew he was also my friend's ex-boyfriend. He somehow got my phone number and we started talking and ended up dating a few months later. – Lauren, 21
 
At Work:
 
We both worked in a pizza shop and he asked me out and I told him no! I only wanted to be friends - nothing attracted me, really. Though I always thought his pizza shop hat made him look super cute. After he asked me out four or fives time, eight months later, I said yes and we went to dinner. I might have fallen in love that night, no lie. – *Kristen, 21
 
We worked at the same bar for six months and didn't speak to each other. I thought he was lame because he was friends with another bouncer that I thought was a loser. We found out we went to the same school and started talking about midterms and finals. I ran into him at the mall one time and we talked for awhile. He left when I said we were just friends, but I ended up texting him to hang out that night. He stayed over that night and has not left since. That was a year and a half ago. We still live together. – Leah, 23
 
In Class:
 
We met in a painting class at school. We joked around a lot, and made little clay sculptures for each other because we were both awful. It just grew from there! – *John, 20
 
I came into class the first day. We both noticed each other.  I started texting my friend about how he was cute. Apparently, he was on AIM talking to the same friend, at the same time, about me!- Nikki, 21
 
At a Music Event:
 
We were both at a local music show, and a good friend of both of ours officially introduced us. Though I had seen her before, she hadn't noticed me. This time she did, and from then on we were always drawn to each other. A couple years later, we were finally hanging out and made it official. – Tom, 20
 
My band was playing a show at a club across town and she just came because she had heard about my band. I invited her to hang out for a bit after the show and now we've been together for eight months. We both kind of agree that it was love at first sight. In her words, she saw me performing and said to herself, "I like that one!" – *Joe, 21
 
Serendipity:
 
My boyfriend and I were neighbors at school. When we met, we lived two doors away from each other on the 5th floor of our dorm. The next year, he lived just upstairs from me! – Windsor, 21
 
Totally Random:

Here are some stories from outside the norm – the kind where two people meet in a completely unexpected way, and either the girl or guy is outgoing enough to strike up a conversation with an adorable stranger. Take some tips from Patti Feinstein, America's Dating Coach (below) and you're bound to have a random cute boy encounter of your own.
 
We met while I was looking for houses for last year. The realtor was running late so I was sitting on his stoop waiting. He saw me and offered to show me around his house. I had a boyfriend at the time so didn't think anything of it, but thought he was super cute. I didn't see him for a few months until a party where he performed (I was single by this point). While performing, he pulled me up on stage to dance but midway the party got busted and we lost track of each other. The next time we saw each other again was my 21st birthday, which was also our first date. – Kashfia, 22
 
His car was parked outside of my dorm because he was waiting to pick his friend up. I stopped by to tell him I liked his car, except it was really just because I thought he was cute!  - Debbie, 20
 
We had class together, and I thought he was really cute but I had a boyfriend at the time. A few months later I ran into him in the park while I was walking my dog. We chatted for a few minutes and exchanged numbers. We didn't start dating until much later – he and I kept seeing other people and the timing was off, but eventually we were just meant for each other!  - Lauren, 21
 
 I had a crush on his roommate, but then ended up falling for him! – *Julie, 21
 
No luck meeting guys? Take some cues from America's Dating Coach, Patti Feinstein!

  • Treasure your single life by doing things that make you feel and look good—this creates inner happiness which is contagious.
  • Go out with your positive attitude without trying to meet a guy, but with the focus on enjoying yourself; happy people are approachable people.
  • Always talk to [cute!] strangers (but be safe of course)!

*names have been changed
 
Sources:
College students from across the country
Patti Feinstein, America's Dating Coach (http://pattifeinstein.com/)

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Favorites More
Site signed by the sharing of knowledge - non-commercial use - Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States.All content from the network, the article does not mean that this site perspective, if the violation of the copyright or you found objectionable information, please contact me, we will immediately handle.mailto:wowallfree@gmail.com
Design by Emporium Digital